Types of Extension

kent architect

Side and Rear Extensions

These are the most common and popular way to extend a property. Nearly all of these changes to existing houses need consent, known as "Householder" planning permission. The most popular way to extend a property is to the rear or side of. There are very few extensions that can be built forward of the main elevation. Depending on the existing layout, depends on the best way to extend. If you have a lot a space to the side of your property, then a side extension may be best. If to the side is out of the question, the out the back is best. If you are going for a two storey extension, then the position of the stairsand existing room layouts have to be taken into consideration. When designing a two storey extension existing rooms may need to be changed to allow for access to the new building.

Garage Conversions

If you have an integral garage, then a garage conversion can be a very easy and cheap option to create more living area. In most cases you do not need planning consent to do this. Sometimes a condition may have been attached to a previous planning application, it usually relates to parking conditions. When we have drawn your extension we will help you decide whether you need full planning or to go for permitted development, but most garage conversions fall within permitted development.

Loft Conversions

In a lot a cases a loft conversion is the only option, as with garage conversions, most loft conversions do not need planning as they come under permitted development. For a terraced house you are allowed 40 cubic meters of added living area, for a detached and semi it is 50 cubic meters. There are a few more requirement regarding the dormer size and appearance, but nothing unusual. With a loft conversion there is a lot of steal work, beams that need to be put in to support the existing roof and take extra load. The access to the new room can also provide some problems. Depending on the layout of the existing stairs, a bedroom has to be sacrificed or made smaller. This can result in losing a small bedroom to create a larger one with en-suite. Also a lot of upgrading to the existing house. On a three floor house, a fire proof corridor from top to outside has to be created. Existing doors changed to fire doors and smoke detectors fitted. But despite all that, a lot of people opt for this form of extension.

All construction work need a Building Control Application.

The councils we cover are:

  • Ashford
  • Bexley
  • Bromley
  • Canterbury
  • Dartford
  • Dover
  • Gravesham
  • Maidstone
  • Medway
  • Sevenoaks
  • Shepway
  • Swale
  • Thanet
  • Tonbridge & Malling
  • Tunbridge Wells